Just about everyone has heard that childhood obesity is a major problem in the US. About 17% of children between the ages of 2 and 19 are considered obese. There are some serious consequences to children being obese, but here is one sure-fire way to combat it! BJJ is a GREAT way to get our kids healthy and fight off the quality of life reducing and life-threatening effects obesity.
There is a laundry list of health problems that goes along with childhood obesity. Children who are overweight face some or all of the following:
- High cholesterol and blood pressure
- Risk Factors for Heart Disease
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Sleep Apnea
- Joint problems
- Reflux, fatty liver disease, gallstones
On top of all of the health issues, there are emotional issues too. Overweight children are subject to bullying. Some act out in school, while other children suffer from severe low self-esteem. These children don’t get the chance to enjoy childhood the way it should be enjoyed: carefree and surrounded by friends.
Worst of all, obese children are more likely to become obese adults. And the health risks of obesity as an adult are more dangerous.
How To Combat Obesity in Children:
Childhood obesity can be avoided, and IT SHOULD BE as it often starts young- even in Austin, TX– where a study published in the American Journal of Public Health, said “about 28% of children in kindergarten were either overweight or even obese in Austin”!
So, WHAT DO WE DO?!
The best way to stop the problem is to get to it before it can happen- when kids are young.
Kids BJJ classes in Austin, TX are perfect for young kids struggling with their weight. Some kids don’t want to get away from the television. Others can’t seem to put down the junk food. BJJ keeps your kids active and moving! And don’t they deserve it?
So many of our kids enjoy training BJJ so much that they forget how active they are being until the end of class! Instead of sitting on the couch, they might be practicing their front rolls on the floor. Instead of eating those potato chips, they might have an apple.
Here are a few reasons why BJJ and weight loss go hand-in- hand in our kids BJJ classes in Austin:
- BJJ is a great workout, but most children don’t even realize they’re exercising. You can tell a child to run four laps around a field, but they probably won’t want to. They may start running, but as soon as you turn away, it’s all over. Sometimes that type of exercise might even seem like a punishment.
But, BJJ is fun. Most kids want to go to their BJJ classes. With BJJ, kids don’t see exercise as a punishment, but as a reward. The weight loss is just an added bonus.
- Once a child is overweight, it’s easy for them to go into a downward spiral-just like adults. So they deserve some empathy. But at the same time they deserve results! Jogging is hard, so they walk. Then, walking becomes difficult. So they sit. At this point, getting active can seem IMPOSSIBLE, and can be dangerous if pushed too hard. You wouldn’t run a marathon with no training, and you can’t force a child into most sports without a moderate level of fitness.
BJJ improves fitness…but gradually. You can be in the worst shape of your life and attend a BJJ class. Each class, your fitness will improve. That’s why it’s great for children struggling with being obese- they can ease into the fitness routine in a fun healthy way.
- When kids BJJ classes are part of a child’s weekly routine, living a healthy lifestyle becomes part of that routine. To train well, a student need to stay healthy. Otherwise, he won’t be able to keep up with other kids-and they don’t want that. Eating right is just as important; training is hard, and eating right gives kids the energy to make it through class. If your kid takes BJJ kid’s classes, you won’t need to remind her to stay active or eat healthy foods. It will become a habit that she sticks with throughout her whole life. And isn’t that what we all want for our kids?
- In some cases, overeating is an emotional response to problems. Some children are overweight because the stress they feel at school or with friends is too overwhelming, and they turn to food for comfort.
BJJ also helps kids cope with stress and emotional issues. And since exercise is a great way to get rid of stress, BJJ class can be just what a child needs to relax! And a an extra added benefit there’s also the social side of BJJ. Students become friends on the mat while training and develop leadership and problem solving skills at as super fast rate that many families have attributed to HUGE improvement at school.
Kids BJJ Classes In Austin, TX
By sending your child to BJJ classes in Austin, you can stop obesity before it happens. Or, if your child is already obese, BJJ can help them lose weight and learn the importance of living a healthy lifestyle! Either way you and your child deserve to be winners in the fight against obesity! And we want to be your partners in that fight!