Program Director Job Description
The Program Director oversees the coordination and administration of all aspects of location operations including organizing, staffing, leading, and controlling location activities.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Plan the program
- Plan the delivery of the overall program and its activities in accordance with the mission and the goals of the organization
- Develop new initiatives to support the strategic direction of the organization
- Develop and implement long-term goals and objectives to achieve the successful outcome of the assigned location
- Develop an annual budget and operating plan to support assigned location
- Develop a program evaluation framework to assess the strengths of assigned location and to identify areas for improvement
- Develop funding proposals for assigned location to ensure the continuous delivery of services and new opportunities
Organize the program
- Ensure that location activities operate within the policies and procedures of the organization
- Ensure that location activities comply with all relevant legislation and professional standards
- Develop forms and records to document location activities
Staff the program
- In consultation with the Executive Director, recruit, interview and select well-qualified program staff
- Implement the human resources policies, procedures and practices of the organization
- Ensure that personnel files for assigned location are properly maintained and kept confidential
- Establish and implement a performance management process for all location staff
- Engage volunteers for appropriate location activities (e.g. community outreach, tournaments, etc) using established volunteer management practices
- Ensure that all program staff receive an appropriate orientation to the organization and it’s culture
Lead the program
- Ensure all staff members receive orientation and appropriate training in accordance with organizational standards
- Supervise location staff by providing direction, input and feedback
- Liaise with other directors to ensure the effective and efficient program delivery
- Coordinate the delivery of services among different program activities to increase effectiveness and efficiency
Control the program
- Write reports on assigned location for supervisors and for cost center
- Communicate with funders as outlined in funding agreements
- Ensure that the location operates within the approved budget
- Monitor and approve all budgeted program expenditures
- Monitor cash flow projections and report actual cash flow and variance to supervisor on a regular basis (monthly)
- Manage all location funds according to established accounting policies and procedures
- Ensure that all financial records for the location are up to date
- Ensure financial reports and supporting documentation for cost center are prepared as outlined in funding agreements
- Provide required information to have invoices generated and submitted to cost center according to the established timelines
- Identify and evaluate the risks associated with location activities and take appropriate action to control the risks
- Monitor the location activities on a regular basis and conduct a quarterly and annual evaluation according to the location evaluation framework
- Report evaluation findings to the Executive Leadership and recommend changes to enhance the location and its program, as appropriate
- University degree in a related subject
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Knowledge of program management
- Knowledge of member/staff groups and/or issues related to the program area
Proficiency in the use of computers for:
- Word processing
- Simple accounting
The Program Manager should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities.
- Focus on Member/Staff Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external persons to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions that are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities.
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement action plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- Program Directors usually work in an office environment but the mission of the organization may sometimes take them to non-standard workplaces.
- Program Directors work a 6 day work week and may be asked to work evenings and weekends to monitor program activities.
- ½ Select Group Insurance
- 20 days/yr PTO - *minus holidays
*All non-sick day PTO must have a minimum of two weeks notice using organization PTO request form